The majority of adults will choose to live out their retirement in their own home, but the reality is that many of those will eventually face declining health or even age-related disability. These challenges can create a need for more around-the-clock care, particularly if they live alone and have no children or other family to support them. That’s where it can be beneficial to find a companion who is both nearby and well-suited to help provide the kind of support your loved one needs. Companion care allows your loved ones to receive the emotional support and companionship they need while allowing them the freedom they want.
What is Companion Care?
Companion care is a type of home care that pairs your loved one with an experienced caregiver who can help them stay in their home for as long as possible—often, even for the rest of their lives. Companion care differs from other types of in-home care because it provides a sense of companionship and emotional support to help your loved ones maintain their independence while they live at home.
While the goal of companion care is mainly emotional support and socialization, companions may help seniors with different tasks, including:
- Running errands such as grocery shopping.
- Medication reminders
- Meal preparation and serving
- Light housekeeping
- Transferring from wheelchair to bed
- Helping with personal hygiene needs, such as bathing, dressing, or using the bathroom
- Providing transportation needs such as visiting doctors or taking seniors to medical appointments or other social events.
What Are The Benefits of Companion Care?
Companion care offers many benefits to seniors and their caregivers, such as:
1. Improved Independence
Companion care helps your loved ones stay in their home for as long as possible, which improves their overall quality of life. With companion care, seniors in your family won’t need to move out of their homes or try to find a new living arrangement, which can be stressful or inconvenient. Instead, they can continue their daily routines while receiving care that fits in with the lifestyle they’ve always had.
2. Improved Socialization
Seniors who live alone may not feel like going out to social gatherings because of the added cost or inconvenience. But companions can come over for a meal, accompany them to a doctor’s appointment, or take them grocery shopping. This will allow your loved ones to feel more comfortable with someone at home and possibly help them make new friends in the area.
3. It Provides Mental Stimulation
Companion care allows seniors to engage in intellectual activities, which can help their brains stay sharp. Seniors who spend their time with a companion can learn new things and practice active listening skills on a daily basis. They may also enjoy listening to music and watching movies with the company of their companion. A companion will only spend a few hours with a senior each day so they can socialize, play games, or visit and talk together. It can help many seniors maintain mental sharpness without stress.
4. Opportunity to Try New Things
Companion care allows seniors to try new things and pursue other passions they may have put aside years ago. By having companions by their sides, seniors can enjoy new opportunities that they wouldn’t otherwise be able to try or afford, such as learning how to play an instrument, going on a trip, or taking a painting class.
5. Respite and Relief for Family Caregivers
Companion care can also be a relief for family caregivers, who may not be able to get breaks from their full-time jobs or unwind after caring for a loved one all day. Companion care provides them with relief from the stress of caring for a loved one and allows them to go on vacation at the end of the week. It also allows family caregivers more time to spend with their own families, giving them the sense of relaxation they need.
6. Emotional Support and Friendship
Companion care provides seniors with the emotional support and friendship they desire. Many caregivers are surprised that companions offer so much more than just helping around the house or socializing with their loved ones. Companions can be a source of encouragement for seniors who may have experienced a number of health problems and have lost their sense of security throughout the day, particularly when they are sick. They can be a valuable source of advice and help with personal questions, like how to manage money or figure out their investments.
Does Your Senior Loved One Need Companion Care?
If other family members have other obligations or work full-time jobs, seniors may not receive enough attention and socialization. They may feel lonely and want to spend more time with people who are familiar to them. These are good reasons why companion care is essential for many seniors. Also, some seniors may need companions for short periods of time when the caregiver needs a break. However, choosing the right home care agency for companion care is essential to ensure that companions are reliable and skilled at their jobs. This is when Wellness Home Care Services become a perfect fit.
Why Wellness Home Care?
Wellness Home Care has been a top-rated home care agency caring for senior loved ones since the company’s inception. We are a reliable organization that provides excellent care for seniors in their homes and can help them with the needs they may have. We offer trusted, state-of-the-art services that help seniors enjoy a happier quality of life.
- Our companions are professionally trained – The companions and staff members at Wellness Home Care are all trained and certified. They have an impressive resume of experience working with seniors, families, and individuals with disabilities.
- Our companions are screened and background checked – We perform thorough background checks on all our companions before they are authorized to work with clients by the state. This way, our clients know that we always have the most qualified people around to help them in any circumstance when they need assistance.
- Our companions possess excellent customer service skills – Wellness Home Care provides the highest levels of care for seniors, and we know how to provide this quality of service. Our companions can offer their clients the level of care they need, which ensures that they are always happy with their services.
- Our companion care service is available 24/7 – Wellness Home Care provides both in-home companion care and 24-hour emergency services. We are available to help clients whenever they need us, even during the holidays, weekends, and other days when we are not training new companions. We offer 24-hour phone support for our clients, which can be very useful when they experience issues with their health at night or on the weekend.
If you are interested in companion care for your senior loved ones, it is important that you choose a reliable organization. Wellness Home Care is the company to trust in all situations. We are a caring organization with excellent screening procedures for our companions. We are available all the time to help when clients need us, which ensures that they experience the care they deserve and will be more content with their lives. For more information on our companion care service or to schedule an appointment, contact us at (860)667-2273 today.